Do you enjoy cozy mysteries? Were you enticed by the latest vampire love story? Maybe it’s time for you to try a Cozy Paranormal.
Cozy Paranormal is a new sub-genre of paranormal / fantasy fiction where the gore and tension are downplayed and the characters represent one or more groups of magical creatures like vampires or shape shifters. Here are some things to help you understand the genre.
- The main character is an everyday person with a charming appeal to the reader. Kimie and her best friend Sydney met in college and instantly shared a “gut feeling” connection that built a special bond between these mischievous best friends.
- Gore and tension are downplayed.
Find out why Vampires turn to dust when they die.
- Magical creatures feel like they could be someone you know.
Owners of construction companies or gyms, these people are your neighbors.
- Magic can’t solve everything.
Life isn’t scripted and like humans, magical creatures can die. Being a vampire has its own laws and life limits. If you are evil, there are consequences.
- Good must always triumph in the end.
You have to read the book if you want to find out how the ending happens!
- Romance, especially in a series, keeps the hope for better times alive.
Love comes in all forms and takes patience. When humans and magicals fall in love, there are always complications.
Check out Chalice Moon for a good example of a cozy paranormal. This is the first book in the new Chalice Princess series by Pat Sawtelle.